Friday, December 25, 2009

Celebrity style secrets


Scarlett Johansson, Yasmin Le Bon and Pixie Lott reveal their style secrets.
We all have an occasional off day on the fashion front, but luckily most people can get away with the odd dodgy ensemble without attracting too much attention.
For high-profile celebrities, on the other hand, even popping out for a Starbucks is akin to striding the catwalk.
Each outfit is eye candy for the paparazzi, up for scrutiny from the fashion press and celebrity bloggers, and on show for the world to ooh and ahh over.
And while some stars slip up, others seem to ooze style from every pore no matter what they wear. They're the muses of the world's top designers, the faces of the biggest ad campaigns, and creators of their own clothing ranges.
Step forward Scarlett Johansson, Yasmin Le Bon and Pixie Lott who let us peek into their wardrobes and reveal their stylish secrets.
Scarlett Johansson The Hollywood actress is celebrated for her curves and timeless sex appeal. Scarlett's become the poster girl for old school glamour, from pouting with those trademark bee-stung lips for Dolce & Gabbana, to posing in high street as the face of Mango.
:: How would you describe your style?
"It's sort of a New York sense of style: practical, casual, but well-tailored. I have a lot of dark colours in my wardrobe, lots of grey and black. I'm probably most comfortable in jeans and a cardigan but at the same time I also like to dress up. Obviously I go to a lot of events, so I've learned to feel comfortable in a pair of high four-inch heels, it just takes a lot of practice."
:: Who are your style icons?
"Marlene Dietrich. I love that kind of masculine tailoring for women - I'm a big fan of suits, trousers and blouses."
:: What are your wardrobe essentials?
"Probably a pair of high-waisted black trousers, a grey cardigan, and a really soft t-shirt."
:: Who are your favourite designers?
"I like a lot of different designers. I love Margiela, Balenciaga, Dolce & Gabbana and Yves Saint Laurent."
:: What's your relationship with clothes?
"I've always loved clothes and I guess that, obviously working as an actress, clothing and costumes particularly are a vital part of getting into character."
Yasmin Le Bon She's the Eighties supermodel who still has hanger appeal at 45. After swanning down international catwalks and gracing covers for almost three decades, the rock star spouse has turned fashion designer with her own collection for high street store Wallis, YLB.
:: How would you describe your style?
"I've become much less conservative, more experimental. I'm a magpie and love to collect different cultural elements from all over the world and kind of throw them together; that way they feel real, more authentic and more personal."
:: Who are your style icons?
"Gela Nash-Taylor, Amanda Harlech, there are too many people to mention. Princess Michael of Kent is a new favourite."
:: What are your wardrobe essentials?
"I'm going to be living in the military coat from my collection - it's Cossack gone wrong!"
:: Who are your favourite designers?
"My favourite designers change seasonally and it's impossible to say one over the other, but I would like to have a lot more of Antonio Beradi's clothes in my wardrobe."
:: What's your relationship with clothes?
"I want something that reflects my mood in some way, I want to have fun, and I want to feel confident. I try to play different roles but I'm sure I end up looking the same the whole time."
Pixie Lott Move over Kylie, there's a new pop princess in town. The 18-year-old singer's making waves in planet fashion, performing at a Fendi party at the request of Karl Lagerfeld and collaborating with both Moschino and River Island to design t-shirts. Pixie's also the face of girl-friendly Illuvial Pink Collection at The Carphone Warehouse.
:: How would you describe your style?
"It depends what mood I'm in - sometimes I'll go for a hippy look, sometimes indie or glitzy, or occasionally it's classic. I really like new designers and lots of vintage stuff, and I wear masses of accessories."
:: Who are your style icons?
"Brigitte Bardot for her glamorous femininity and Edie Sedgwick for a funky Sixties look that really stood out."
:: What are your wardrobe essentials?
"A big, baggy woolly long cardigan, my Mulberry boots, and jewellery - the more the better!"
:: Who are your favourite designers?
"My favourites are labels that are classic but have a modern edge. Names like Mulberry, Fendi, Moschino, Chanel and D&G are high on my list."
:: What's your relationship with clothes?
"I love fashion and want to get more involved. I've got so many clothes they're piled high on my sister's bed! I don't really follow trends, I just like what I like!"
:: Get the look Alexa Chung's a top cat on the fashion front with this leopard print bag. Purr with delight carrying the same Russell & Bromley Babs handbag, £195 (0207 629 6903/www.russellandbromley.co.uk).
:: Buy it now Nicole Kidman, Amy Winehouse and Alesha Dixon have cancelled the day jobs to go designer. Each celebrity has donated artwork to appear on fun sleepwear for the Whatever It Takes charity. PJ prices start from £8, available at www.oli.co.uk.
:: Recessionista alert Flummoxed by the sale rails? Get a speedy overview of the best bargains on offer at www.stylecompare.co.uk, which compares fashion from the UK's biggest online retailers.
Fashion flash :: Style stocktake Raid those wardrobes and pull out the redundant clothing duds. One in four women wear just 10% of their wardrobe, according to new research by www.MyCelebrityFashion.co.uk. Almost all the 18 to 30-year-olds surveyed claimed to have something in their wardrobe hanging up with the labels on and 79% admitted buying something they knew they would never wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment